St. Martin de Porres Shelter provides safe and dignified night shelter for homeless men age 50 and older. The shelter opened in October 1984 in response to the growing need for an emergency shelter for this special population of elderly men who are vulnerable to the weather, street predators, and illness.
Floor Monitors check in men into shelter, record data, monitor shelter dorm areas for trouble spots, open storage and allotted items.
This is an overnight (Grave Shift) position at 37.5 hours per week with a compensation of $15.60 per hour w/ EXCEPTIONAL benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, LTD and impressive PTO.
1. Monitor shelter throughout shift responding to any crisis situations.
2. Dispense personal belongings and supplies to Shelter Residents.
3. Refer Shelter Residents to appropriate social services agencies for assistance.
4. Intake Residents for Respite Program.
5. Receive visitors and in-kind donations.
6. Work with Resident volunteers to ensure all Respite shift tasks are completed.
7. Monitor Shelter bus line.
8. Assist in transportation of Shelter Residents from Shelter bus line to Shelter.
9. Record Shelter Residents registrations and other statistical information.
10. Attend and participate in bi-monthly staff meetings, and in trainings required by CCS/CHS for all employees.
11. Perform other tasks as assigned by Shift Supervisor.
1. Sensitivity to homeless people and their situation.
2. Work history that demonstrates reliability and dependability.
3. Work or volunteer history that demonstrates ability to interact and communicate with others.
4. Understanding the disease of alcoholism and other substance abuse issues.
5. Support and uphold the mission, beliefs and values of Catholic Community Services and Catholic Housing Services.
6. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
7. Demonstrates the necessary attitudes, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in multi cultural situations.
8. Criminal history background checks are required prior to employment.