The Youth Tutoring Program (YTP) is an after-school educational enrichment program for at-risk, predominately immigrant and refugee students grades 1st-12th who live in six low- and mixed-income housing communities in Seattle. Begun in 1991 as a partnership with the Seattle Housing Authority, the tutoring centers provide youth with a positive learning environment and a structured tutoring program to help them build academic success. We work within the communities we serve, offering tutoring through community volunteers, and connecting with schools and parents. This position is to support operations at the YTP tutoring center in the High Point community of West Seattle.
Our ideal candidate is someone who values educational success as a vehicle for change, and has experience working with youth in an academic setting. The Tutoring Center Assistant will support the implementation of the after-school tutoring program and the summer learning program in the High Point community. Primary duties will include supporting center operations, tutoring and mentoring students, and supporting paid teen interns in their work at the tutoring center. Typical hours will be 10 – 12 per week. Applicants must be available during program time (4 – 8 pm M-Th during the school year, and 12:30 – 4:30 pm M-Th during the summer session).
1. Assist the Center Supervisor in planning and coordinating after school tutoring summer learning programs located in a low/mixed-income community. Possible responsibility to fulfill Center Supervisor responsibilities when Supervisor is not available.
Assist in the daily management of center activities.
2. Tutor and mentor students, individually and in small groups, including the tasks below.
3. Foster an environment where youth and adults are treated with respect and where learning is perceived to be fun, exciting and important. Assist in developing and supporting values of a culturally diverse work environment, including the tasks below.
4. Assist with record keeping and center organization including maintaining learning resources in an organized and accessible manner, and tracking student academic progress.
5. Attend training workshops and staff meetings as needed. Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.