MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Direct service to homeless women
- Provide crisis intervention and advocacy to women in a harm reduction program.
- Coordinate with other social service agency workers (case managers, social workers, medical professionals) to provide for clients’ immediate needs.
- Model interpersonal and living skills for clients.
- Enforce building and program rules including bar policy.
- Maintain and safe and comfortable shelter environment, including physical set-up and light janitorial duties, when necessary.
- Work as a team with other colleagues on shift and be able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Client intake, assessment and advocacy
- Register new clients including evaluation and assessment of client needs.
- Review and record in log book to ensure program consistency.
- Maintain client records, updating information on an ongoing basis.
- Explain and enforce Bakhita Gardens policies and procedures.
- Maintain accurate client count throughout shifts.
- Determine appropriate shelter placement for each client; based on history of abuse, psychological and physical state and language barriers, if any.
- Engage outside professionals (Mental Health Professionals, Medics, Police) when appropriate.
- Concierge duties
- Manage front desk and building security, including welcoming clients, visitors and donors, monitoring security cameras and lobby, enforcing building and program rules, and sanitizing client belongings.
- Process mail and messages and maintain accurate client tracking records, including the bar list.
- Answer phones and provide information to callers about Noel House Programs, Rose of Lima House, and local resources.
- Supervision of volunteers
- Supervise volunteers on shift.
- Work with off-site volunteers providing advice and support as needed.
- Administrative and General Responsibilities
- Attend staff meetings, workshops, retreats, and in-service classes as provided.
- Maintain accurate record of hours worked and turn in timesheets on schedule.
- Contribute to and support a positive, team-oriented work environment; participate with other staff members in group decision-making process.
- Maintain cleanliness and order at front desk and lobby area.
- Inform supervisors of facilities and client-related issues.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
This position requires the employee to work in an environment where there may be exposure to blood, bodily fluids, and other potentially infectious material. Other exposures could include cleaning supplies, chemicals involved in pest control, paint and other materials used in building maintenance. Working conditions may include interruptions, interactions with angry persons, and exposure to computer CRTs.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL ACUITY DEMANDS:
The requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to hear telephone rings, phone conversation, doorbells, emergency alarms and face-to-face conversation.
- Able to speak clearly in person and on the telephone.
- Able to hand write legibly.
- Vision that enables person to read normal size print and handwritten notes; and distance and peripheral vision than enables person to monitor large space and identify concerns that require staff response.
- Mobility/dexterity of hands/arms to enable keying into locked areas as well as using a computer and other office equipment.
- Able to sit for sustained periods of time.
- Able to walk the entire building and ascend and descend stairs quickly to move from one floor to another in order to respond to emergency situations.
- Ability to lift, move and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
- Able to make independent decisions and apply sound judgment in performing job duties.