African American Elders Program
$30.00 - $36.00
The African American Elders Program serves African American Elders living in Seattle, Shoreline, and South King County. The program identifies frail, isolated elders, and their caregivers, and assist them in accessing and receiving needed social and health services through ongoing care coordination, support and referrals. The nurse addresses the health effects of inequalities in the prevalence of risk factors and chronic conditions of older African Americans.
This position covers a range of services from assessment through teaching, counseling, health coaching and follow-up activities with the medical community and care coordinators.
The AAEP Nurse promotes access to clinical and preventative health services by:
1. Accessing the functional, medical history, cognitive function, medications, health and well-being of the client, family and home environment.
2. Advocating and Coordinating client care with other health and resource providers, family and community members.
3. Assisting clients with health related referrals, obtain insurance, manage medications, access primary, and specialty care, and other referrals which will improve the clients functioning.
4. Eliminating barriers to care.
5. Monitoring health status of clients.
6. Accessing and protecting PHI/ePHI:
• Responsible for upholding a culture of privacy and security in highly confidential work environment (HIPAA covered entity service area) and complies with all CCSWW policies and procedures that involve access to and safeguarding of client Protected Health Information (all forms).
All employees working in CCS have the responsibility for developing and safekeeping a workplace which values and supports a culturally diverse work environment. Employees’ treatment of each other, their willingness to try new ways and ideas – all these things contribute greatly to the organization’s success in providing an open, culturally enriched and diverse workplace.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The nurse may be exposed to unsanitary conditions, unstable clients, family members or others with mental health or chemical dependency problems, who are hostile or violent. The nurse may teach care techniques such as transfer or positioning to caregivers.
♦Registered Nurse with 4 year BS degree.
♦Excellent communication skills.
♦Excellent interpersonal and organization skills.
♦Experienced working with Geriatric and patients of color, primarily African Americans.
♦Washington State licensure.
♦Master’s degree in Nursing
♦Familiar with social services
Catholic Community Services and Catholic Housing Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer